Sunday, October 6, 2013

I have been a bit lazy lately, just emailing updates of my scores to Andy and not adding anything to the blog. I think this is really because after the rush of exciting species in July and August I am now restricted to just adding bits and bobs wherever I can. Even now in early October I am surprised that I am still finding a few new species when walking around my patch - SP 4993.

When my good lady decides to join me on my wanderings we tend to stay more to the roads, and this is where I found my last two new species - Cockspur (growing in the gutter of a main road through my village), and Buck's-horn Plantain (growing on the verge of the same road).  Buck's-horn Plantain is usually a seaside species, and it is another plant that has benefitted from salting of the roads to reach my Leicestershire home 100 miles from the nearest coast.

My species count for SP 4993 now stands at 1268, and although the images below contain the obligatory moth, they generally reflect the very diverse nature of what is turning up as autumn sets in.

In addition to the two plants mentioned above the images show the moth Merveille du Jour, the caddisfly Athripsodes bilineatus (taken mid July but only just identified), the weevil Apion frumentarium and the well marked parasitic wasp (and one of the few I can identify!) a female Ichneumon sarcitorius.






 
grahamc SP4993

No comments:

Post a Comment