Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A slow start in SP8112




Hello everyone,
Firstly I had better introduce my square (SP8112), my square is located in the centre of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire and is located around my house. I am in my final year of completing a degree in Biology so I will only be able to go looking for new species when I am at home at weekends and the holidays until May when I finish my degree. A couple of years ago I could barely identify birds and mammals, since then I have learnt how to identify common species of a wider variety of groups of wildlife and have started a pan species list.
I especially like recording wildlife in my local area and recorded over 400 species in my garden in 2013. I am also one of the founding members of the Garden Bioblitz which aims to inspire people to record wildlife in their gardens.
One of the main problems I see with my square is the fact that most of it is comprised of private gardens, as you can see on the map above, which I wont be able to gain access to but hopefully I will still find enough habitats to explore.

So today it was the first day of the year and what a miserable day it was. So much so that I only recorded 17 species, all from the comfort from inside the house. I will really have to try harder over the coming days!

1. Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)
2. Feral Pigeon (Columba livia)
3. Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs)
4. Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
5. Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)
6. Carrion Crow (Corvus corone)
7. Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
8. House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
9. Magpie (Pica pica)
10. Man (Homo sapiens)
11. Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)
12. Blackbird (Turdus merula)
13. Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus)
14. Red Kite (Milvus milvus)
15. Black headed gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
16. Great Tit (Parus major)
17. Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus)

Good luck to everyone participating in the challenge. You can follow my progress on twitter (@RyanClarkNature)

Ryan Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment