Monday, February 19, 2018

Dalgety Bay - 400 up

So I managed to just sneak onto 400 before a brief Highland holiday with the family. A few additions since returning means I'm more or less still in line for 450 by end of Feb. Nice to see the moth trap not empty. Although technically it was, with three Dotted Border on the house walls, all the very pretty form fusca.

I'll be taking a leaf out of Tim's book before month end probably and doing some more sieving. I've had precious little from sieving leaf litter with even what I thought common litter species apparently absent (or my failing eyesight...). Not even a pseudoscorpion.  I still retain hope though, and I think at least partly it's the wetness that's to blame. maybe I'm subconsciously avoiding Tachyporus!



Numbers:
398 alga Ulva intestinalis Gutweed
399 fungus Phanerochaete velutina A fungus
400 fungus Inonotus radiatus A fungus
401 bird Turdus viscivorus Mistle Thrush
402 moss Campylopus introflexus Heath Star Moss
403 lep-moth Agriopis marginaria Dotted Border

2 comments:

  1. You're still going great guns Ali. I've found with leaf litter or grass/reed piles that it's worth building them up into a reasonably large pile if you can as the piles then act as larger reservoirs of insect life. I've added a few species recently so am now on 345, but the forecast for down here for the next couple of weeks is pretty grim and cold, so I suspect that I won't be adding a great deal for the rest of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had good luck with a large pile left on my local nature reserve after they heaped all the grass clippings. Last year in my square there was a reasonable patch too (dumped garden waste). 345 is great guns! This square is being very kind to me - nice variety of habitats

    ReplyDelete