Friday, February 2, 2018

Skye - January Round Up

Everyone else is doing it, so why can't I, as The Cranberries almost said. So here's my January breakdown (numbers, not mental. That'll probably hit me around about September, I imagine).


Algae - 27 (1 charophyte, 18 freshwater, 7 marine, 1 terrestrial)
Lichens - 18
Fungi - 30
Bryophytes - 19
Vascular Plants - 109
Cnidarians - 1(an anemone)
Molluscs - 19 (14 terrestrial, 1 freshwater, 4 marine)
Bryozoans - 2
Annelids - 1 
Platyhelminths - 4 (3 terrestrial, 1 freshwater)
Nemerteans - 1 (terrestrial)
Arachnids - 6 (3 spiders, 1 pseudoscorpion, 1 harvestman, 1 mite)
Myriapods -7 (3 centipedes, 4 millipedes)
Crustaceans - 6 (3 terrestrial, 3 marine)
Springtails - 1
Bristletails - 1
Orthopteroids - 1 (an earwig)
Coleoptera - 3
Diptera - 2 
Moths - 4
Insects - small orders - 1 (a lacewing)
Fish - 2
Birds - 51
Mammals - 1 (human...)

Total for January is 317 species, not quite a third of the way towards the 1000 species. I've set myself a rather ambitious target of 1350 species in total, which puts me at almost a quarter of the way towards that target. It'll be better when the weather improves and I have a bit more spare time to explore the square in daylight hours. 

February will probably be a fairly poor month for me, I'm heading on a two week roadtrip sometime mid-month and I'm still busy at work during daylight hours right up until I head off. Still, 317 is a tremendous start. If nothing else it has Ali all stoked up (probably aiming to hit his 1000 before the end of March, haha!)

Here are a  few of my highlights from January - 

Neobisium carcinoides in a drystone wall
White-billed Diver - a ridiculously poor (and heavily cropped!) image
Vuilleminia coryli - the Waxy Crust Fungus on Hazel twigs and branches

Mycetophila ornata - a fungus gnat regularly attracted to lights at night



No comments:

Post a Comment