Thursday, February 1, 2018

Dalgey Bay - the Green Man

With only 3 species required I thought I had enough in the house to complete the task, even if it meant scouring the shed for spiders. I thought it might come to that when the snow started to fall, but happily the snow vanished and ten minutes into lunchtime we were over the line.

I had intended to pick up a few species I know are in the intertidal and relatively easy, but when I got there I found the tide as high as it can possibly be (at which point my square is 1/2 submerged!). Still the gathered seaweeds did at least give up Vertebrata lanosa.


I stuck with the maxim, "The easiest way to find new species is to look in new places" and walked the coastline, quickly picking up Weld and Red Dead-nettle where the grass runs out and becomes sand/rock. A happy find was more Spotted Medick, so it's at both ends of my current square.

The only species I took to the lens in the evening was the lovely Cryptosphaeria eunomia. A nice side-effect of finding this one is that it nudges me into the top ten for fungi on the PSL charts - a spot I've been eyeing for some time!

shaved surface to expose interior

the asci/spores

E&E

the stroma

Numbers:
331 flowering plant Lamium purpureum Red Dead-nettle
332 flowering plant Reseda luteola Weld
333 alga Vertebrata lanosa A seaweed
334 moss Scleropodium purum Neat Feather-moss
335 moss Campylopus flexuosus Rusty Swan-neck Moss
336 flowering plant Trifolium repens White Clover
337 flowering plant Primula vulgaris Primrose
338 flowering plant Vicia sativa Common Vetch
339 fungus Cymadothea trifolii A fungus
340 * fungus Cryptosphaeria eunomia A fungus
341 moss Cirriphyllum piliferum Hair Pointed Feather Moss

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're steadily and relentlessly forging ahead of the pack. 500 by end of Feb? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More or less 3 spp per day. Why not? If I make 450 I'll be pretty happy with that, though. Lot of green stuff coming through from below and it's getting light when I leave work. listing aside both those things make me happy!

    ReplyDelete