Thursday, July 26, 2018

Dalgety Bay - brief update

Things ticking along imperceptibly slowly here. A couple of days of cycling to work mean no morning or lunchtime site visits and I've barely caught a fly for a month. My mind has turned to things botanical, and some of that as been off-square, though I've made it over 200 for flowering plants at least. now I just need to go back and do that for last year's square before the new atlas data is in!

There are Cinnabar caterpillars all over the place - found them in two new squares at my work and at another random spot I went to last night to look for waders (well, another patch - maybe next years?). Everywhere except in my square it would seem.

Here's one, just to pretty up the post a bit.


Major edit:
Since writing the above I noticed that one of the updates is Boxworm which is new to county and possibly new to Scotland. Maybe not the most popular addition but it is noteworthy at least! (and also quite pretty)



Numbers:
1080 flowering plant Tripolium pannonicum Sea Aster
1081 diptera Eristalinus aeneus Syrphidae
1082 diptera Eriothrix rufomaculata Tachinidae
1083 bird Delichon urbicum House Martin
1084 lep-butterfly Pieris rapae Small White
1085 flowering plant Suaeda maritima  Annual Sea-blite
1086 * flowering plant Honckenya peploides Sea Sandwort
1087 bird Apus apus Swift
1088 flowering plant Brassica napus ssp. Oleifera Oil-seed Rape
1089 lep-moth Chloroclystis v-ata V-Pug
1090 * lep-moth Cydalima perspectalis Box-tree Moth
1091 lep-moth Xestia baja Dotted Clay
1092 lep-moth Mesapamea secalis Common Rustic
1093 lep-moth Pleuroptya ruralis Mother of Pearl
1094 hemiptera Phytocoris tiliae A mirid bug
1095 lep-moth Acronicta psi Grey Dagger
1096 coleoptera Coccinella septempunctata 7-spot Ladybird
1097 diptera Anomoia purmunda Tephritidae
1098 diptera Trypeta immaculata Tephritidae
1099 * diptera Sphegina clunipes A hover fly
1100 flowering plant Salicornia europaea Common Glasswort
1101 * flowering plant Puccinellia maritima Common Saltmarsh Grass
1102 mollusc Arion ater A slug
1103 lep-moth Autographa jota Plain Golden Y
1104 lep-moth Mesotype didymata Twin-spot Carpet

5 comments:

  1. Massively jealous of your 1087th, think I saw about ten of them in 2016 and none since! Congrats on the Box Moth, it's not its fault it's a menace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see any myself - though there should be plenty about shortly. Have you seen the new all time chart page? Time to get moving on up through the ranks ;)

      Delete
  2. Good going on the Box Moth and also that things are still moving forward if slightly slower which is to be expected at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Box moths are clearly on the move, great record. Saw one a few miles from here last year, but not on the garden list yet. I've got oil-seed rape, wheat and barley in some set-aside from previous year's crops. Can I count them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything self-seeding in Stace should be countable? It's part of the flora now! I was being pretty hard on escapes and such but comments about under-recording with respect to the upcoming atlas made me change my mind. No point pretending they aren't there.

      Delete