Monday, May 22, 2017

Dalgety Bay, Fife - crawling towards the big 6

Grinding my way through scraps of this and that, and making heavy work of the last mile of the 500s. I created myself a weevil workshop on Sunday morning when everything I swept had a new weevil in it! Banged my head off one last night briefly before realising I wasn't in a sufficiently weevil frame of mind. I have no doubt I'll get them - it's just a question of when!

I also have an ever growing collection of jars with leaves which I may turn into records at some point and another gall mite leaf from which I will try (again) to extract some living thing. I'm still recording them - just not counting them! Phyllocoptes goniothorax rolled hawthorn leaf edges are the latest.

I'll continue to scratch around and see if I can throw something else on the pile from the comfort of my chair. It's raining outside and lunchtime looks like an opportune moment to prioritise my expanding waistline over my expanding list!
 
Bibio marci was out in force

A "medium" sized weevil with a pointy pronotum


Anaspis maculata

Limonia phragmitidis

Phyllocoptes goniothorax

Numbers

581 Stenodema laevigata A mirid bug
582 Limonia phragmitidis A cranefly
583 Athous haemorrhoidalis A click beetle
584 Tephritis hyoscyami A tephritid fly
585 Anaspis maculata A Tumbling Flower Beetle

An appeal for help:
I only noticed late in the day this plant which looks sort of onion-y and smells sort of garlicky when you break a leaf. Yet I have no name for it. It's scattered on the woodland floor especially on the edges and I never noticed it (or did I and now I can't id it?). It also has a rust. So I'm two species in the hole here. All assistance gratefully appreciated!


2 comments:

  1. The weevil looks interesting. Am curious to see what it turns out to be. I'm trying to avoid collecting them at the moment as the mental scars are still fresh from the last failed ID batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get too cocky in one group I like to remind myself I'm an idiot. That's what grass is for. and weevils (and Anthomyiids and ...)

      Delete