Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Skye - 555, the number of the beast('s little brother)

Haven't been out as much as I'd like of late, and not many additions since the last post either but I'm gaining a small collection of pinned flies and carded beetles that I shall attempt when I'm reunited with my books once more. 

Caloptilia syringella, or whatever the heck it's called nowadays...   
Red-green Carpet displaying some truly amazing camouflage skillz
Botryotinia globosa on Ramsons leaf , stunner eh?
No idea, but it's very pretty for a caddis!
Identified additions since last time are

548 - Gracillaria syringella (microlep)
549 - Red Admiral (butterfly)
550 - Field Wood-rush (plant)
551 - Gymnocheta viridis (amazing green tachinid!) - Lifer
552 - Botryotinia globosa (decidedly unamazing microfungus) - Lifer
553 - Epinotia immundana (microlep)
554 - Common Bird's-foot Trefoil (plant)
555 - Red-green Carpet (moff)

Kinda waiting with baited breath for Christian's next update, I reckon he's holding out until he's comfortably over 600. Either that or his shingles have got worse?

10 comments:

  1. Have a look at Philopotamus montanus for the caddis. I saw thousands recently at Watersmeet, Devon and at Exmoor so they are on the wing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks a very close likeness indeed. I had a quick look online a few days back, seems there are several species that resemble this one. I have the FSC book...in a friend's loft in Southampton along with many other invert books. So bloody frustrating! Cheers for the suggestion, I shall go investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think you may be right with Philopotamus montanus. I meant the RES, not FSC book btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is useful http://trichoptera.insects-online.de/Trichoptera%20fennoscandinavica-aktuell/Philopotamidae%20species/philopotamus_montanus.htm

      Delete
  4. Yes that's a nice website, I have it bookmarked. Nice to see the genitalia as photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Well if you're 555 then I'm 666". As if. Slipknot notwithstanding what do you mean by "whatever the heck it's called nowadays"? Is this the proper respect to give to a scientific name, I ask you? I wonder if we can also hide Chris's books. Might be in with a chance of catching up then ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know when you leave a place for 20 odd years, come back and everything has changed? Well that's how it is with me and the moffs. I blame John Langmaid entirely. Absolutely lovely fella and funny as fkk (plus quite astoundingly competent), but he had to go poking around and turn the world of microleps up on it's head.

      Delete
    2. Well quite right too. That's what scientific names and taxonomy are for and all that. Which is why it's very useful to retain a non-volatile English name ;)

      Bizarrely I managed to remember the soldier fly I caught lunchtime was called a dirty mucky filthy black legionnaire or something, which was better than I did on its "proper" name! Helps to have (at least) two handles to pull on I reckon.

      Delete
  6. You must be referring to the muddy-legged pile o' shite capitan? Alas, poor Shite-legs, I knew him well... Some of these vernaculars really are becoming quite ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not exactly "vernacular". I think they blew that one to be honest

      Delete