Sunday, March 10, 2013

TQ6410 .... Night shift ps

More arrivals from the night shift:
 
300 - Chestnut Conistra vaccinii   

Hopefully confirms yesterday's ID. This was last night's arrival ......  also found in the workshop kitchen!


301 - Strawberry Snail Trichia striolata

In the wild flower bank last night .....

 302 - Leopard Slug  Limax maximus

 ditto ....

303 - Dusky Slug  Arion subfuscus   

ditto ....
304 - Large Red Slug  Arion rufus

And same again ....


305  - Coltsfoot  Tussilago farfara

Quite unexpected this morning in the little ditch by the wet woodland.

306 - Wild Angelica   Angelica sylvestris

Bit more predictable - same location as above .... 






 

306 species  ..... but now just GOT to get some work done!



4 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's not a Chestnut - looks more like a weirdly marked Small Quaker to me. Your moth from yesterday was certainly one of the Conistra spp., probably The Chestnut but difficult to conclusively say it's not Dark Chestnut from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rubbish Skev, it definitely IS a Chestnut just like the last one. And just like the next one too. And the one after that....(shhhh, don't let Mike read this but I'm worried that he's catching me up. So mum's the word and ALL of his moths are Chestnuts from now on, agreed mate? lol) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same initial reaction as you Skev but blow the photo up and it is a Chestnut (and not cos I'm trying help Gibster!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey - this sounds serious! Think to be on the safe side I'll happily withdraw the Chestnut as my gut feeling was Dark Chestnut and it's not exactly a dead cert, either of 'em, although I was quietly confident the second one would be as per page 257 of Waring & Townsend (specimen on rhs of that row of three). Andy - put me back to 305 species .... unless you're prepared to accept my original ID ....'The Nondescript'! Seth - between you, me and the gatepost, it won't be me that catches you up - there's a few dark horses out there - serious moth-ing guys with some hi-tech, all singing, all dancing moth-ing kit lurking in their garages/lofts. I reckon 300+ species is just a week-end's work for some of 'em!

      Delete