Thursday, April 20, 2017

Dalgety Bay Fife - Lunchtimus mirabilis

It was 50/50 whether I finally caught up with gym time or went outside at lunchtime. Fortunately I went to bed too late last night to be bothered with the gym and it was sunny into the bargain.

Headed straight for the blackthorns where I had caught and then lost a lovely tachinid yesterday, which I'm pretty certain was Paracraspedothrix montivaga, a species I have recorded in the square last year. Anyway ... First to catch my eye were Peacock butterflies chasing up and down the upper shore, before I spotted an all dark large hoverfly on the strandline. Could it be?

A swing ... and a miss. Fly escapes. Next it, or another of the same, shows up on a blackthorn flower but in a tricky spot. A swing ... and a miss. Aaaaargh!

Suddenly from the strandline a large beetle burst onto the wing and I thought I was in for my first carrion beetle of the year. But no! What the bejeesus is this?! A fantastic Creophilus maxillosus, a big furry staph of similar magnitude to the Devil's Coach Horse only all fancy-likes with a fur coat. What a beauty! This is a quick record shot and the distribution map for the species as per NBN (I happen to know it HAS been recorded in Fife). In case you don't know where I am, it's just above Edinburgh in that vast white record desert ;)



After a ten minute stalk I did manage to catch not one but two Eristalins aeneus, first for mainland Fife and a fly I've been longing to see for a long time. For completeness the pic and map for that species too.



Latest numbers:

475 Phaonia subventa A muscid fly
476 Melanostoma mellinum A hoverfly
477 Phylloscopus trochila Willow Warbler
478 Eristalinus aeneus A hoverfly
479 Creophilus maxillosus Carrion Beetle

3 comments:

  1. Cool hoverfly, will have to keep an eye out for that one. Love the beetle too, great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not seen Creophilus maxillosus for a good while, last one found in a dead horse. Perhaps i need to start baiting up my local heath with some road kill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely plan to see if I can bait some stuff in during the summer. Have to site it where it won't get tidied up though!

    ReplyDelete