Saturday, June 8, 2013

New boy on the blog

Hi

I've been doing the challenge from the outset on a 'just for fun basis', but had to get in touch with Andy this week to ask whether Gorse Shield bug eggs counted as a species (yes!) and he sent me an invite to join the blog.

After adding Cochylis atricapitana from the moth trap this morning my list has reached a respectable 621 species in square  SP4993 (Sapcote, Leicestershire), although I have to admit to calling in a fair bit of help with identification of spiders and beetles.

The main thing I have learnt from this so far is what a motivator it is, I have almost literally left no stone unturned in my effort to add species!  It is quite amazing what's going on right under your nose.

Beetles in the last few days have included the jazzy longhorn Anaglyptus mysticus, and two elm weevils Orchestes alni, the weevil that thinks it's a ladybird, and  Magdalis armigera with it's stick out 'shoulder pads'.



grahamc

No comments:

Post a Comment