Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Waldridge - Good old moths

 Still cursing the weather. All the good days and I'm out of the square doing things, and of course whenever I'm back at home it raining. As I always knew (and planned) I am heavily reliant on vascular plants and moths to get to the 1000 species. In fact with a bit of concentrated effort I think I could get 700 species on these two groups alone. I have the advantage of doing the 1000 species in a 1km square before, and in this square, so its easier for me than others, but I would be stuffed if I had to do it elsewhere.

Despite the rain, the moths in particular have been quite decent, pushing me over the 800 mark. A Painted Lady, got me to 20 butterflies with just two hairstreaks to go. Should really have had both by now.

The total to date


Keith Robson
Waldridge VC66

4 comments:

  1. Looks pretty much on track. I'm going to need to pick up the pace - could use a really good moth session but not sure the square has that much capacity anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tally, Keith! I really need to stop faffing about watching Sea Eagles and order myself a set of electrics for a moth trap. Did manage Rhagonycha fulva today though, first of the year for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Head torch! 10 new additions first night out for a one hour walk - guaranteed ;)

      Delete
    2. You're right Ali, I've picked up a few things since I started using mine that never come to light. Another tool in the PSL arsenal.

      Delete