Sunday, March 5, 2017

Skye - Millipede new to Skye!

I didn't have time to write up yesterday's blog (worked an evening shift) but essentially I found myself a new millipede - Melogona scutellaris - which wasn't just new to me but new to Skye and seemingly the northernmost record in Britain. Seeing as it's also known from parts of Central Europe and Belgium, this means it is effectively the northernmost record IN THE WORLD!!!! Haha, little things like that make me grin :) Here's a couple of pics of it

You can probably make out the 28 rather than 30 body segments from this amazing pic.....umm
Note the hugely bulging cheek and acute triangle of ocelli - I give you Melogona scutellaris!
Also saw a few other bits n bobs new for NG3963. Additions were

369 - Grey Wagtail (bird)
370 - Scarlet Elf Cup Sarcoscypha coccinea (Fungus) - hairs of cup seen at 200x mag
371 - White-lipped Snail Cepaea hortensis (Mollusc)
372 - Melogona scutellaris (Millipede) - Lifer

For a full account please check my blog here.

1 comment: