Thursday, January 4, 2018

Dalgety Bay, NT1683

New Year, New Square!

Still in Dalgety Bay, but this time including my house for easier recording. In theory. The square includes the actual bay of Dalgety Bay which is good for birds but cuts off a bit of marine and migrants because it's slightly more inland. That's not ideal. Already found some new species to me (Spotted Medick, a chironomid whose name I've forgotten for the moment)

87 species so far with not much effort. Still hopeful for a better January total than last year.

Also since I want to use the same blog I've renamed it. So now it's here...

Dalgety Bay Nature

Anyway, that'll do by way of introduction. I'm still recovering from yesterday's mega Humpback Whale sighting.

Happy New Year!
Ali

bird28
chromist
1
fern
1
flowering plant
27
fungus
2
insect - moth
1
insect - true bug (Hemiptera)
1
insect - true fly (Diptera)
3
lichen
7
liverwort
4
marine mammal
1
moss
8
springtail (Collembola)
2
terrestrial mammal
2

5 comments:

  1. Welcome (back) to the fray, Ali! Humpback huh, astonishing how they're almost regular nowadays. Would have been near-mythical not that long ago. Best of luck for the forthcoming season, I'm looking forward to another year of being bewildered by pics of pinned flies! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wasn't going to do it but I couldn't resist. Don't know whether I'll make it but with 25% lifers last year why not? Plus a lotof the species should (!) be easier to recognise thi time around. Enjoying your new camera shots

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may try to get up to Skye too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be awesome (I can get some new flies for the square...)But seriously, if you think you can get up here I'll just take time off work and we'll go find us some amazing stuff. And music!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your new square. And very envious of the Humpback sighting.

    ReplyDelete