Monday, February 18, 2013

Guernsey

Despite being on half-term last week, my progress was severely hampered by my selfish family. Firstly my parents came over for a visit, then it was my daughter's birthday, and then my wife went to Amsterdam for the weekend! They all really need to get their priorities right.

I did manage a handful of new species from the house and garden however, the highlight being a jumping spider that was trotting around the ceiling of our utility room. I decided that I needed to microscope it properly to find out which of the two common species of Heliophanus it was - flavipes or cupreus. However, when I zoomed up on the boxing gloves of this male, the pattern exactly matched the non-British species tribulosus. Looking it up, this has been recorded from the island at some point way way back. I'll have to head to the library to see when exactly.

201 - Bristly Millipede
202 - Heliophanus tribulosus
203 - Polydesmus angustus (flat-backed millipede)
204 - Eristalis pertinax (hoverfly)
205 - Leiobunum blackwalli (harvestman)

Heliophanus tribulosus

5 comments:

  1. Cheers. Of course, I have been admiring your photos on your website for the last couple of years and have had lots of photographic tips from it. It can be frustrating using the clip-on lens with such a short focal length, but often (like above) not getting the whole creature in focus can make a much more aesthetic picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, with macros like this less DoF is more for the whole shot - really makes those eyes stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the same clip-on adapter on Skev's advice but I have got a lot to learn before I can get shots as good as your Bristly Millipede and this jumping spider. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did take quite a bit of practice getting it right at first. Getting the correct distance from the beasts is the key. If in doubt, pop out the flash and whack it up to 1/2000!

    ReplyDelete