Saturday, February 9, 2013

TG2507 - More birds, mosses and lichens

9th February 2013

I continue to stumble along towards 100, boosted by some more birds today. A Mealy Redpoll with the Siskin and Lesser Redpoll flock was the pick of the bunch, with Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Green Woodpecker (h), Nuthatch (h), Jay and Fieldfare all new for my 1km square. I found a fern that I presumed was Male, but is actually Broad Buckler Fern and added a couple of fungi in the form of Tar Spot and Scurfy Twiglet. Against my better judgement I went and had a look at a couple more lichens (one identified OK and one not - any help welcome!) and added my first three mosses to the list too.

Treecreeper. Unbeknown to me at the time I appeared to have slipped back into the Victorian period judging by those sepia tones.

That grey spotty lichen looks distinctive doesn't it? It could be a Lecanora sp, or it could be something else, I really don't know. I hate lichens.

Two mosses in here, most of it is Rough-stalked Feather Moss, with lashings of Common Feather Moss. I also saw Wall Screw Moss, infinitely increasing my moss life list from 0 to 3. 

TG2507 Total: 87 Species. I'll start listing them in an itemised way if/when I get to 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment