Thursday, April 11, 2013

When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer...

...Bristow's only 27.

Yes, I'm using the minor milestone of 180 to roll out my favourite Sid Waddell quote.

Had to lose a couple of fungi as Alan Outen wasn't happy with my tentative identifications (updated list below). Before the list a couple of questions:

Anyone ticking honeybees? I'd guess the vast majority anyone will see will be domesticated so unless a wild nest is found they are untickable according to my reading of the rules - is this correct?

Also, does anyone know of a Phorid expert who is approachable? Have a specimen that keys out very nicely to Chaetopleurophora bohemanni (One UK record) so I'd like to get it checked out.

149 Nostima picta (Lifer)
150 Lonchoptera tristis (Lifer)
151 Erigone atra (Lifer - only ever identified these to Genus before)
152 Spring Crocus
153 Danish Scurvy-grass
154 Oak Marble Gall (Lifer) - mature-looking larvae dissected out.
155 Treecreeper
156 Long-tailed Tit
157 Ivy-leaved Toadflax
158 Buzzard
159 Common Jelly-spot
160 Anthomyia cannabina (Lifer)
161 Sparrowhawk
162 Shining Cranesbill (Lifer)
163 Grey Field Speedwell
164 Dog's Mercury
165 Mahonia
166 Phaonia rufipalpis (Lifer)
167 Sycamore Tar-spot
168 Gonia picea (Lifer)
169 Lonchoptera lutea
170 Blunt-tailed Snake Millipede (Lifer)
171 Small Tortoiseshell
172 Coltsfoot
173 Primrose
174 Sweet Violet
175 Peacock
176 7-spot Ladybird
177 Red-tailed Bumblebee
178 Hairy-footed Flower bee
179 Comma
180 Lungwort (Lifer)

(Excuse the collection of vernacular & greco-latin, just a straight copy-paste from my running total spread sheet).

“That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm having Honey Bee I'm afraid. Although I've got two hives in the garden, I did at least have the decency to tick them at the other end of the square. Interesting point as to how domesticated they really are to be honest - they're free to come and go as they choose - and they do. A hive's a bit more like a bird nest box really? Anyway, I'm still hoping for (a tiny number of) Varroa later.

    ReplyDelete