Friday, January 4, 2013

Day two in the square

Ventured into the square again yesterday - a different route this time, visiting the churchyard and the cemetery. Best find was a group of Collared Earthstars not a hundred yards from the house. I've never seen them here before - not in the 7 years we've lived here. I love earthstars!
A seven-spot ladybird was seen on some (domesticated but escaped) Stinking Hellebore. Finished the day on 94 species. 
But I still have several branches with lichens on sitting on my front doorstep. I'm pretending they're not there for the moment ;)


3 comments:

  1. Are there any leaf-mines on the Stinking Hellebore? The mining fly Phytomyza hellebori is well-established now. I always look out for this one as I found it in my old garden in St Ives, Cambs, about the 6th British locality at the time. Also saw it at Stoke Mandeville Hospital on a very recent visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the mines were there but seemed to be all vacated :(

      Delete
  2. Hey - thanks Mark. I've just wandered out to look at the Stinking Hellebore in my vegetable patch, and discovered OCCUPIED mines - two larvae and one with a pupa. Brilliant. Phytomyza are so easy!

    ReplyDelete