Saturday, January 19, 2013

Guernsey

The snow in the UK and France - (we even had a fall yesterday but it was gone by tea-time) - has meant an influx of winter birds into the island. It's mainly Redwings - there are thousands everywhere - but I also ticked off Fieldfare and Lapwing today. Best sighting though was a flock of 20 Wigeon that flew north as I was strolling up the lane opposite - only my 2nd ever record for the square. But not much else doing this week in these chilly times. (Quick question - is there only 1 species of Silverfish?)

Redwings on the football field - the whole pitch was covered like this (Quiz- which 2 world-class footballers have regularly played on this pitch? clue - one of them is me.)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, stacks of Redwings. I only saw about five in an hour or two today.

    I think there's only one silverfish in GB and I presume the same is true for your tropical climes too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Silverfish is unmistakeable within the British fauna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it's got to be Le Tiss?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thoughts were of Le Tissier but as a life-long Saints fan that was predictable! By coincidence, I only Youtube'd some of his wonder goals yesterday. Now you're going to say it's Graeme Le Saux!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Le Tiss - this is the pitch of his boyhood club Vale Rec. (Le Saux is a crapaud!)

    ReplyDelete