Friday, January 4, 2013

Shotesham TM2499, 4th Jan

More slow progress today, in between working. Siskin, Grey Heron and Pied Wagtail wandered onto the list, and new plants were Field Maple, Ground-ivy, Greater Plantain, Stinking Hellebore (in pub car park, looking pretty naturalised) and Sweet Violet, the last in flower. I finally got round to opening my big shiny moss book and identified the first moss I came across as Wall Screw-moss Tortula muralis which the book helpfully confirmed would be the first moss a beginner would find and identify! Neat.

Only fungus ID of the day was Tar Spot Rhytisma acerinum on fallen Sycamore leaves (hmm, have interestingly forgotten to note Sycamore!) but a small pile of other bits of fungi are sat on my desk, staring accusingly at me.

Moth trap tonight has so far produced an Early Moth (as yesterday - I meant this when I said Winter Moth) and a small Acleris which I'll have to look at and decide if I can confidently say notana or ferrugana. Quite possibly not. A Harlequin Ladybird was also kicking around the trap, in addition to a distressing number of smallish flies that I don't have the faintest idea what to do with.

A couple of late IDs from yesterday were Cellar Snail Oxychilus cellarius and the micro Agonopterix heracliana. Total score is now 77. Time to have a last look at the trap before bed...

Andy

P.S. Most surreal moment of the day was sinking into a bog up to my thighs (both thighs!), only about 10 metres from the end of my drive. Who knew?!

2 comments:

  1. Why are there no photos of this sinking episode?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my mind on other things. Pure survival instinct kicked in - and I was worried about my bins and camera too of course!

    ReplyDelete